Think your business isn’t marketing via mobile? Think again.
Even if you haven’t specifically managed any marketing campaigns or are a busy, small business owner, there’s a good chance that your customers have read your existing marketing materials from their phones. There’s a growing trend of accessing not only the web, but also their emails from mobile phones. The trends around mobile email reading are so obvious and so basic that it hides in plain sight.
Let’s look at some of the stats that back up this mobile emails trend:
- According to Knotice’s “Mobile Email Opens Report”, mobile email opens rose 51% in the first half of 2011 vs the previous quarter of 2010.
- The same report by Knotice also found that only 3.09% of the sample emails were opened on both mobile and desktop.
- Even more interesting was that of that 3.09% over one third were first read via mobile.
- According to Portio Research, over 480 million people used mobile email in 2010 (with this total expected to quadruple by 2015).
- Back in Febuary, Gilt Groupe announced that half of all their emails are opened on a mobile device.
Do I have your attention now?
Many customers are reading your emails from their mobile phones, and this number is expected to grow quite a bit in the coming years. Even more important is the data that shows a lack of re-opening emails between mobile and desktop. So if customers open emails on mobile that aren’t mobile optimized, what do you suppose are the chances that customers will make sure to open the email again on their desktop when they get home… or delete the email and move on?
Whether or not businesses like it, their online marketing assets will be read from mobile phones. And if these assets are not optimized for the experience, many of their customers will simply turn to another business.
Fortunately, these marketing assets are within your control and you can do something about making mobile emails and other mobile marketing assets! There are many services out there (like SnapHop) that exist to make it fast and easy to create and manage mobile-optimized marketing campaigns for email and the web. So even the small-business owner who works 8 days a week can still take control of mobile branding and messaging.
(Photo credit: Akbar Sim (very busy))
- 5 Ways to Make Your Email Program More Mobile (community.constantcontact.com)
- On Every Subscriber’s Wishlist: Mobile-Friendly Email Content! (aweber.com)
- Are Your Emails Mobile-Friendly? (blogs.constantcontact.com)
- Beyond Email: 17 Easy Techniques to Optimize Your Mobile Marketing (aweber.com)