Did you know that mobile devices are more prevalent for job seekers than desktops these days? Some studies have mobile job searches as high as 70%. And who isn’t guilty of searching for jobs from a phone after particularly bad days at work? Times have certainly changed, so having a career portal that is mobile optimized is essential to capturing these candidates.
A mobile optimized career portal means that the appearance and content adapts to all devices and all functionality works seamlessly. Because mobile devices drive a different type of utilization, it is important to understand the nuances. For example, mobile devices are not suited for long tables of data, excessive manual data entry, or storing large documents.
But adapting your career portal to the mobile world can be a challenge if you don’t know where to start. The following guidelines can help you start the conversation internally before you may want to partner with companies that specialize in mobile solutions.
- Content size should change depending on screen size and orientation
- Menu and navigation should adapt to tapping and screen size
- Content may need to be abbreviated for mobile viewing
- Multi-media should adapt to screen resolution
- Search options should be functional and simplified
- Search results should be presented in a shorter format and paginated
- Sign up process should allow credentials from popular social media
- Candidates still should be allowed to complete the full application process
- Application forms should adapt to limited use of a keyboard
- Resume submission should permit usage of cloud storage applications (DropBox, Box, Google Drive, etc.)
It is important to remember that more and more users are accessing your career portal from mobile devices every day. Some are even applying from smart phones and tablets. With the cost effective options today for providing a mobile solution, it is a smart idea to investigate adoption in your own organization. Otherwise you risk getting left behind.